You won’t be missing anything with this fresh, flavorful pesto and robust beet dish. It’s gluten and dairy free, and it’s easily nut free! I prefer using sprouted pumpkin seeds for this recipe, but raw will work, too.
Serves: 4 with beets over ¾ cup pesto
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 1 lb. or 4-6 cups spiralized beets (do it yourself or buy them pre spiralized at TJ’s or Whole foods)
- ¼ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup avocado (or, additional pumpkin seeds if you’re not a fan of avocado)
- 3-4 Tbsp olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon (add zest, too, for more lemon flavor)
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
Sauté with a touch of grapeseed oil or steam for 4 minute and
- Toss with a pinch of sea salt and olive oil and bake for 10 min at 375 degrees.
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor (I prefer blender) and puree until very smooth and well mixed. Taste and add additional lemon juice, salt, or pepper, to taste.
- Pesto will keep in the refrigerator about 1 week.