Today has been a mixed bag of nuts at the Sykes house: I won’t sugar coat it (you know how much I hate the stuff). The kids have been acting totally age appropriate and that is a kind way of saying they have been totally crazy and out of control. My dogs have gotten into some really grotesque s**t and I’ve had to clean up some really frightening k-9 barf. The dishes are piling up and I have resorted to extra iPad time to keep the seven and ten year old from seriously hurting each other. But, hey, it’s all good….. This is the reality of life.
There was absolutely no way that I could leave these little heathen to their own devices for long but mommy needed to get a quick workout in to keep my energy up and my sanity in check. George and I snuck in my “go-to” 30 minute workout that I recommend to anyone, anywhere when you can’t get to the gym and you want to keep your muscles from atrophying. It hits all the major muscle groups and you can literally do a round single round in five minutes. Doing three rounds is optimal.
1. Planks for 1 minute followed by forearm planks for 1 minute (external obliques, rectus adbominis and transverse abdominis)
2. Wall chair squats for 1 minute (quads, hamstrings and adductors)
3. Pushups for 1 minute, girl pushups are totally fine, (anterior deltoids, pectoralis major muscles and triceps)
4. Bench dips 1 minute (triceps and the front of the shoulders)
5. Crunches 1 minute (obliques, rectus adbominis and transverse abdominis)
Don’t forget to stretch!